Up to ten percent of patients may be intolerant to gastric balloons, presumably due to a stomach that is overly sensitive to balloons. Unfortunately, this condition cannot be predicted and comes to light only AFTER the balloon has been inserted. That patient (with a sensitive stomach) will not tolerate the inserted balloon, and it will need to be removed, causing the weight loss treatment to fail.
The good news is that the Spatz3 adjustable gastric balloon works quite differently. Since its size can be decreased (if and when needed), it can more effectively accommodate the needs of people with sensitive stomachs. These patients will save their treatment, lose weight, and most importantly, keep weight off well into the future!
The Differences Between the Spatz3 Weight Loss Balloon and Non-Adjustable Balloons
We have already seen that the Spatz3 Adjustable Gastric Balloon is ideal for those who have sensitive stomachs. However, it is important to remember that losing weight is only half of the battle. Maintaining gastric balloon weight loss can be even more challenging over time and adjustability is the prime feature that can help you reach this goal. Let’s highlight some key findings in order to reinforce this point. Here is the long-term breakdown of typical weight loss results when looking at the Spatz3 in relation to traditional balloons:
- After approximately four months with any gastric balloon, including the Spatz3, the rate of weight loss starts to slow down. Only with an adjustable balloon can your doctor offer an up-adjustment to enlarge the balloon to rejuvenate its effect and yield extra weight loss. In US clinical studies the Spatz balloon achieved almost double the weight loss of the average of the other four balloons tested (reaching 15%).
- After four months with a gastric balloon, if patients don’t undergo up-adjustment (volume increase of the balloon) the weight loss effect may stop, and even weight regain may commence.
Non-adjustable balloons begin to lose their efficiency after four months, while the Spatz3 can be adjusted, allowing patients to worry less about regaining the weight. They will benefit from losing weight for months to come!
Health and Wellness: Maintain Weight Loss with Your Gastric Balloon
Knowing how to maintain weight loss from gastric balloon treatments involves a handful of professional recommendations. Here are some of the most relevant:
- Set targeted goals from the very beginning.
- Understand how your balloon works
- Learn from your dietician and doctor
- Work with your balloon
- Respond to signals and symptoms from your balloon
- Guided by your dietician
- By the end of your treatment time, rely less on your balloon
- Guided by your dietician
It is important to remember that while the Spatz3 is the most effective gastric balloon on the market, embracing a healthy habits mindset is the best way to ensure that you maintain your target weight over time. Clinical studies have shown that Spatz patients can maintain their weight loss longer than non-adjustable balloon patients.
Maintain Your Treatment with the Spatz3 Adjustable Gastric Balloon System
We can now see that the question “what is a gastric balloon for weight loss” is not as simple as we once thought. Any weight loss balloon is only as effective as the long-term results that you can expect to achieve. Whether you suffer from a sensitive stomach or you have simply been looking for a targeted solution to maintain your dietary goals over time, the Spatz3 will not disappoint. As always, please contact us today in order to learn about this revolutionary weight loss technique.