Green teas are a popular dieting aid, and many people interested in weight management wonder “Is matcha good for weight loss?”
Matcha has been touted as a superfood and is now a common sight in supplement shops and health food stores. Let’s explore the benefits of matcha green tea for weight loss and offer tips on how to get the most out of it.
How matcha works for weight loss
Matcha contains several beneficial compounds that can help with weight loss.
Source of antioxidants
Antioxidants are known to help in weight management. Antioxidant-rich matcha does this by:
- Reducing the effects of chronic inflammation caused by free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, boosting the digestive system.
- Speeding up the fat breakdown process, which makes it an excellent choice if you’re looking to burn belly fat.
- Helping muscles absorb glucose. Because glucose is an important source of fuel for the body, antioxidants in matcha tea can make you feel more energized and keep your body burning calories, instead of storing them.
Tea drinking is usually associated with relaxation, but green teas also have a powerful energizing effect. Matcha contains caffeine and is high in L-theanine. This aminoacid helps manage caffeine absorption so your body feels energized over several hours after drinking it, instead of having a caffeine rush and then crashing.
The energizing effect is helpful in weight loss, as you’re less likely to feel sluggish and fall into a routine of inactivity. What’s more, L-theanine stimulates dopamine (the “feel good hormone”) production, making you less likely to indulge in emotional eating.
Matcha tea is also known for its thermogenic effects. This means that this superfood can increase the speed of your metabolism.
For example, a research study in Taiwan looked at the effects of high-dose matcha extract on obese women. The study found that participants experienced an increase in the speed of calorie burning, ranging between 8% and 43%.
Another study found that when people exercised immediately after consuming matcha, their workout sessions burned 25% more fat.
Overall, matcha is a great metabolism booster that helps your body process nutrients more efficiently and burn calories at an optimal pace.
What’s the best matcha tea for weight loss?
You want to make sure you get the highest-possible quality matcha if you want to enjoy the weight loss benefits of this superfood. Some things that can help you make the right choice include:
- Check the colour, which should be a bright green. This is a sign that the tea hasn’t oxidised and is fresh.
- Look for a fine and silky consistency, without lumps or coarse grains.
- Quality matcha has a noticeable scent, a good indicator of its freshness and intensity.
- Stone-ground matcha is best, as this processing method preserves its beneficial properties much better than commercial grinders.
- Packaging is a major factor in preserving freshness and potency, so look for teas that have been sealed at origin. Avoid transparent packaging, since exposure to sunlight causes tea to lose its properties.
How to benefit from matcha for weight loss
If you’re committed to achieving and maintaining a healthier weight and want to complement your efforts with matcha, there are a few things you should know to get optimal results.
- First, you want to be consistent. Matcha tea is a superfood, but it wouldn’t be realistic to drink it sometimes and expect dramatic results. You can drink matcha every day, and you should aim to be consistent if you want to experience its cumulative effects.
- Second, you want to find out the amount that works best for you. A standard serving is 1g, and 2g per day is the minimum amount recommended benefiting from matcha.
- Third, you can drink more than 2g per day, but be cautious if you’re sensitive to caffeine, as it can affect your sleep. In most cases, the best time to enjoy a cup of matcha for weight loss is in the morning or early afternoon, preferably before a meal or before exercise.
To sum up: is matcha good for weight loss? Matcha can definitely support the weight loss process and strengthen your metabolism.
You can read more about nutrition on the Spatz medical blog. Discover our ultimate weight loss solution.
Should I drink coffee to lose weight?
Coffee contains many beneficial nutrients and can help with weight management by boosting your metabolism and energizing you.
If you plan to drink coffee to lose weight, make sure you complement this choice with healthy living and eating plans. Discover more on Spatz Medical. We have the ultimate weight loss solution.